Private Parts

Monday

I often wonder why some people come to my blog..I mean, clearly, based on emails and comments I receive, most readers feel some kind of kinship to me. They read stories and my experiences, and see themselves. I can't tell you how often I get a comment saying that the reader could have written that same exact story.

I help people, they say.  They sympathize with me. Some, while they don't agree with my actions, my lying, my dishonesty, empathize with me. Hey, I don't say that what I do is right...I couldn't think that unless I was mentally deranged. But, I feel I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances.

However, as we all know there are the others: the Anonymous commenters.. the people who are holier than thou..those that walk the path of the righteous. They comment..they spew hatred, they criticize, they wish me horrible things. They insist that I have to come clean, they sympathize for my wife and family, they wish for my quick and painful demise. But..like the tattoo says in the pic below: "Only God Can Judge Me."

Well then..why the hell are they here? Why do they read? Why add to the blog by commenting? Why do they keep coming back for more?

It reminds me of a movie I saw - Howard Stern's Private Parts. Some think he is crude, cruel, vicious, offensive and insulting. In the movie - recreating a real life event - a radio executive (nicknamed "Pig Vomit" by HS) requests research on what drives Stern's success on radio, despite his foul reputation..



from Howard Stern (1997):
Researcher: 'The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.'
Pig Vomit: 'How can that be?'
Researcher: 'Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."'
Pig Vomit: 'Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?'
Researcher: 'Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.'
Pig Vomit: 'But if they hate him, why do they listen?'
Researcher: 'Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."' 

 

Yea, I can moderate the comments I receive, but I also believe in free speech, even in my little blog world. Do I delete some comments? Not often (as a matter of fact, I emailed one recent nasty commenter telling him I mistakenly hit "delete"prior to publishing his comment and that he was free to re-post his comment). But, I reserve the right to do so..and, sometimes..I think I should.

Do I wish people would treat me with a little more respect? OK, maybe "respect" isn't the word..but, I am here..putting my life out there..writing about personal issues, feelings, and experiences - my own "Private Parts."  Doesn't that deserve some sort of acknowledgement and consideration?

Despite what people think, Howard Stern has triumphed and is now regarded as the "King of All Media". I consider it an honor and a privilege that I am involved in the same struggles for understanding as the self-proclaimed King.
 

Popular Posts