Merry Fuckin' Christmas!

Monday


Yea, we all know my mental state isn't the rosiest. I try and hide that part of me, but inevitably, it comes out. But when it comes to my kids, I try to be in extra-high spirits.


 You know how kids are: out for dinner and the meal isn't quite up to par..or a little surprising even. I'm always the one to nudge them to "make the best of it." You know, it's an adventure sometimes when you go out..new restaurant..different food. My kids for the most part will try anything..but, often can be disappointed at the littlest things. Lasagna not what Mom makes? So? scape off the Prosciutto, and try it..otherwise, we'll send it back for the safer Penne alla Vodka.

But the holidays are something different. For kids, this time of year is full of expectations...of anticipation..of excitement and ultimately, disappointment.  As usual, my kids have a hard time coming up with a list of things they would like for the holidays.  Of course, the list, if they do make one, starts with things that they know they won't get..flat screens, lap tops, cars, animals..but, I guess you have to give them credit for trying. Then there are the few things left that we end up getting..supplementing with our own idea purchases.

Clothes? Well, if you have girls, yea, that could be great..but with a boy? Forget it..they don't want clothes..so those boxes are often opened and tossed aside. As is any item that's considered "basic essential" underwear, socks, books, pajamas and the like.Then we open something that they "wanted" and it's a let down: "Well, yea, it was on my list, but...now I'm not so happy with it.” they say.
The big "wow" factor is gone. The days of crayons and coloring books or match box cars, or cool wool hats and gloves, or enjoyable books making any kid happy is gone. My kids, after they're done with the gift opening frenzy..are left..depressed, sad, and moping around.
It brings me back to my childhood. I clearly remember days when I would get gifts..gifts that I certainly didn't expect. Yea, when I wanted a bike, I got my brothers old bike: now spray painted black, with new mirrors and horn. Underwear and socks were often also given and needless to say, I came out of the holidays unhappy with my presents.

But, I don't want my kids to have the same feelings about the gifts we give them..it's just that with kids walking around with I-Phones, Blackberrys, I-Pads , having Laptops, Flatscreens in their rooms..it makes my kids think that what they get isn't good enough.
 

Popular Posts