Another One Bites the Dust

Thursday

I got a call from an old, and I mean old friend yesterday.  We grew up together, he was the best man at my wedding, and as a result of his job, moved many years ago down South.  Although we're the same age, he got married years after me, never had children though. His wife's also a professional, works full-time and makes a good living.  By all accounts, he was happy and I always wondered when he called me that he would finally say that they're finally having kids...and his wife was pregnant.
Well, I get the call. Briefly chat..and then..

"Well, we have big news!" he said with excitement.
"Yea?" I said anticipating what I always do...
"Yep..Susan and I are..." long pause "getting divorced!"
"Congrat....huh? Divorced? are you kidding me?" I said.

Apparently, it's been going on for a long time.  He finally had enough, and feels that since they don't have kids, that the time is right to end things.  The way he talks, you'd think he was announcing something good.  He sounded downright giddy!

"Things are great..we get along well, still living together. It's not going to get messy. I want her to be taken care of, and there aren't going to be any attorneys involved. We're hoping by years end, we'll have a clean slate and start anew in a few months as singles."

It's easy to make those decisions when your married without children.  The only one's it effects are the husband, the wife and maybe an accountant.  Try being married, with kids. Obligations, schools, camp, houses, mortgages, jobs, you're constantly worried about how to make ends meet, how you're going to pay the bills.

Am I jealous? Well, yea, if I was married..without kids, maybe those decisions would be easier. My mind would be clearer..free of the constant stress of the obligations that every family has, financial or otherwise..but, the more I hear about some of my friends and other married people I know and despite what some of the readers of my blog have said about my infidelities are horrible, misleading and deceitful...

Despite all the faults, and there are many...I'm feeling my marriage is still better than all the rest.
 

Popular Posts