Health Care Reform

Thursday

As you know, I've got a pretty stringent workout routine, and way of living my life. I work out 6 days a week, try and eat properly. I eat lots of fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken. It's not often I eat ice cream, don't go crazy on candy, but I do have my allotted portions of cookies per day (it's a weakness).

I've kept myself trim for my whole life. There was a time when I didn't work out, and was trim. I could eat anything I wanted and couldn't gain a pound. ice cream thick shakes, bags of cookies, candy, beer, alcohol..shit..I didn't gain a pound. Then I hit my 30's and things weren't the same. I started working out, and was able to maintain my intake of all the fun stuff. When I hit 40, well, something had to go and other than an occasional piece of cake or chips here or there, I've stopped all the heavy calorie intake and most of my drinking. Not fun necessarily...and I guess you can say that there is a happy medium there..that I could gain a pound or two and enjoy some more of that stuff..but, I've decided I didn't want to.

My wife, on the other hand always used to be on a diet. She was always, constantly watching what she ate. I'd be eating all those cakes and cookies, dips and chips and she resisted. Over the past year or two, I've noticed a change. Now, I'm the one resisting, and I'm watching her enjoy..and frankly, enjoy a little..a lot too much. She also has slacked quite a bit on her gym routine. I mean, I pay for her gym membership, and if she goes once a month..that would be a lot.

She definitely has gained some weight. If you asked someone,  they wouldn't know. But I can tell. I notice the difference. I see the rolls, I notice the flab. She ain't no spring chicken..and all that eating has to go somewhere.

It annoys me that I resist everything I like and she eats it all, not caring what she puts into her body.  One night, a friend and I went to a restaurant with the wives. He's lost probably 30 pounds over the past year or so, working out and watching what he eats. He's one of the guys who's having problems in his marriage. As the women shoveled in the bread, butter and multiple courses of food, we were sitting there, watching what we ate.  At an opportune moment at the bar he told me something profound: "At the end of the day, you have to be a happy with what you see in the mirror. You have to take responsibility for your own health and well being. If you're going to eat like that, then one day, your going to have health issues. I don't plan on being a nurse to my wife if she's sick, diabetic, or unhealthy because of the way she lived her life.  That's on her."

He's got a point. I've gotten flack on here for my views of fat people. But, it's an American epidemic:  Here's the statistics:
  • 58 Million Overweight; 40 Million Obese; 3 Million morbidly Obese
  • Eight out of 10 over 25's Overweight
  • 78% of American's not meeting basic activity level recommendations
  • 25% completely Sedentary
  • 76% increase in Type II diabetes in adults 30-40 yrs old since 1990
The annoyance I have I keep in. I've tried saying things to my wife about what she eats, try to set an example. But, as any of you guys know, there's no way to tell a girl that she's gained a few or should be working out...not without dying after saying it.



Tomorrow: The Issue Issue
 

Popular Posts