Married With Children

Friday

I'm lucky. My kids are incredible. Great kids. Happy, healthy, good looking, smart, athletic, social. The works - everything I wasn't.

There are people who have big issues when it comes to kids. Child rearing styles differ between couples. For the most part, my wife and I don't have any of those issues.

But there are times that I feel like I'm the bad one in the house. I'm the stern one, "go ask your father", or "wait till your father finds out".  I don't want to be the bad one. I don't want to be the one to lay down the rules. And I don't want to feel like I have to hold court while my wife makes my son's case for $120 sneakers, or for going out to a high school party when we know there's going to be drinking going on.

Couples need to present a united front. Instead of "wait till your father finds out" it should be "What he/she said." Make the tough choice. It's OK to say "no" to your kids. And you don't have to do what everybody else does just because. Do your own thing, what makes most sense, what the right thing is.

In the end, you're teaching your children a lesson to live by.

Monday: Sex is Best
 

Popular Posts