Thanks for Giving

Saturday

There are reasons why Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday. Yes, there's the seemingly hundreds of family members that gather every year that we get to spend time with. And of course, there's the food. While the food is some of my favorites (like turkey and stuffing), as you know, thousands of dips, chips and other assorted hors d'oeuvres followed by massive quanities of trough after trough of high calorie, high fat and cholesterol laden delicacies isn't my idea of stimulating eating. But, Thanksgiving has become, in our family, a time of giving.

For the past 10 years, I've gone with my children to the nearby Church to feed the homeless. We set up for the hundreds of people down on their luck to provide, at least on this day, one good meal and some happy memories. We serve the food, help clean and provide security for the days event. My kids already know that's the agenda for the morning/early afternoon and don't complain about it.  I think, and hope, that the few hours of community service on this day allows for some perspective for an otherwise sheltered life that typical middle class children have each and every day.

Afterward, of course there's the annual Thanksgiving Day family football game (with yours truly completing 7 touchdown passes to lead the way to our teams victory)! This year, the weather cooperated (and my shoulder too) and a great game was had by all.  It really is about family and fun. 

I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving Holiday (for those that celebrate - some of us US residents don't realize that those out of the USA don't celebrate Thanksgiving - such a shame! And maybe next year, you too can give your own Thanks by Giving back.
 

Popular Posts